Method of Education Delivery
Semester Credit Unit (SCU)
The Semester Credit Unit (SCU) system is a way of organizing higher education programs in order to explain their academic weight. The semester is a unit of time that describes the duration of courses in an academic year. The SCU system offers some degree of flexibility for students to design their pace of study. Some benefits of SCU system are:
- Give credibility to students who are clever and diligent, and who can complete their studies within a shorter than normal minimum duration.
- Give an opportunity to students to choose courses according to the interest, talent and capacity of the individual.
- Create possibilities within the education system for plural input and output.
- Facilitate the adaptation of curricula to the rapid development of knowledge and technology.
- Enable the evaluation system of the higher learning of the students to be conducted optimally.
In the credit system, each course has a weight, that is to say, a credit value. The number of credit values for specific courses may differ. It is determined by the effort to finish the tasks presented in lecture programs, job training, practical work, and other tasks.
In the semester system, each course is completed in one semester that runs for 13 weeks. In addition to quantitative grading, the semester credit system allows that the completion of a study course means it can be valued in a quantitative manner, by giving a weight to the relevant course. The weight of each course is measured in credit units.
One credit is made up of a weekly commitment of:
- An academic hour of scheduled face-to-face learning in the classroom with academic staff. This is defined as 50 minutes in BI.
- An academic hour of structured academic activity, which has been scheduled and planned by academic staff (lecturers) e.g.: review session or seminar.
- An academic hour of independent academic activity such as reading, summarizing, working on papers etc.
Students can graduate if they have achieved, among others, a minimum of 40 SCU.
Published at :