On successful completion of this course, student will be able to: Explain the concept of Information Retrieval System; Apply Boolean retrieval in which the document either matches a query or not; Compute scoring for ranking function; Apply techniques to evaluate and enhanced the retrieval system; Breakdown the techniques in web information retrieval.
1. Introduction to information retrieval;
2. Boolean retrieval;
3. The term vocabulary and posting lists;
4. Dictionary and tolerant retrieval;
5. Index construction;
6. Index compression;
7. Scoring, term weighting, and the vector space model;
8. Computing score in a complete search system;
9. Evaluation in information retrieval;
10. Relevance feedback and query expansion;
11. Web search basics;
12. Web crawling and indexes;
13. Review/project presentation.
Published at :